I was struck by the parallels between maintaining good personal health and a successful and healthy agency new business program when scanning the recent Zappos blog, Slow and Steady Wins the Race.
Consider these 5 well-known, but not always well-adhered to principals of healthy living and how you can reinterpret them for new business:
- Don’t do crash diets. Translation: practice new business consistently. Identify and put a 100% dedicated person in charge of new business.
- Schedule your workouts. Translation: schedule your new business activities on your calendar. Sticking with your commitment to new business is much easier when you have an appointment to do it.
- Clean up your eating habits. Translation: focus on companies that are a good potential fit for your agency. Pursue clients who fit with your culture, core principals, and will allow you to make a fair profit.
- Be realistic. Translation: set achievable goals, so that hitting them will help you stick with your plan.
- Log your time. Translation: track your activities. Knowing your metrics will make you a better new business person and allow you to determine what to change in order to improve.
Successful new business professionals do these 5 things every day. How are many do you do?